Sunday, April 19, 2009

Solo

My wife and I have been singing together for almost 28 years. Through all those years, believe it or not, I have never got up in front of an audience, and sang a solo. Well, that changed today. In church this morning, I got up on stage, all by myself, and sang my first solo. I was told I did great, and I think it went pretty well. I have to tell you, I was nervous, even though I practiced a lot. I knew the song, but yet I was very nervous. I get a little nervous even when Vanessa is up there with me, or other members of our family, but this was a whole new experience.
You know how when you sing, or when you do anything publicly, you want to sound good, look good, and not embarrass your self. I had to remind myself why I was doing this, and that was to honor God. I thought about the words, and what they meant to me. I looked at the people in the auditorium, and thought about them. I saw the looks on their face when the words hit home. Some, I had to look away from, or I would lose my words. Vanessa got tears in her eyes, and I couldn't look at her anymore. It's a small congregation, I was running out of places to look. The song was finally over, and I feel the Lord was blessed. My solo was over. I survived, and I'll do it again.
Lord help me to always lift You up.

2 comments:

  1. dad, this post makes my heart cry - i am so proud of you. i am thankful for your vulnerability, too. wish i could've heard you sing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i tagged you - check out my blog "8 things..."

    ReplyDelete